Spaghetti and Asparagus Carbonara
Yield: Serves 6 (1 serving = 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup light cream
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 3 cups cooked spiral noodle pasta (cooked al dente) – about 1½ cups raw
- 2 cups chopped asparagus, about 1-inch long pieces
- 1 tablespoon freshly cracked coarse black pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh scallions
- 3 tablespoons bacon bits (meatless)
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
In a large nonstick sauté pan, over medium-high heat, heat the oil and sauté the onions until lightly browned.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the egg and the cream until thoroughly mixed.
Lower the heat to medium and pour the cream mixture into the onions, stirring constantly with a wood spoon until it starts to thicken, about 4-6 minutes.
Add the stock, pasta, asparagus and black pepper and continue to stir for an additional 3-4 minutes or until warmed through.
Turn off the heat and pour the carbonara into a serving dish.
Top with scallions, bacon bits, cheese, and serve.
|Nutrition Per Serving|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|