Chef Aaron McCargo, Jr.:
"New You" Jumbo Shrimp Scampi
Yield: Serves 4
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound (16/20) peeled and deveined shrimp
- 4 Tablespoons canola oil
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 2 Tablespoons white wine (2 Tablespoons low-sodium chicken stock may be substituted)
- ¼ cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted cold butter (diced in small cubes)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
In a large bowl, combine the flour, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Toss the shrimp in flour mixture and coat evenly.
In a large, non-stick saute pan over medium-high heat, heat half of the canola oil.
Place the shrimp in a single uncrowded layer in the pan and saute for approximately 3 minutes on each side, until pink and just cooked through. Saute in batches if necessary, using the remaining oil as needed.
Transfer the cooked shrimp to a plate or sheet tray to rest.
To the same pan, the garlic, wine (or chicken stock), and lemon juice. Using a wooden spoon, stir the mixture and cook until it reaches a simmer (about 4-6 minutes).
Turn off heat and stir in the cold butter in small amounts until it is incorporated. Add the shrimp back to the pan along with any drippings. Add the parsley and toss or stir until the shrimp is coated and serve.