Chef Aaron McCargo, Jr.:
Chicken Pot Pie Stew
Yield: Serves 8: 1 serving = 1 cup (297g)
- 1½ pounds “natural” fresh chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 2 quarts low-sodium chicken stock
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup fresh carrots, diced
- ½ cup onions, diced
- ¼ cup celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt-free Italian seasoning (ex. McCormick)
- 2 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base
- ½ cup fresh frozen sweet peas, thawed
- ½ cup light cream
- 1 frozen pie crust, cooked and broken in bite-size pieces
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese
Pound chicken to tenderize, quick freeze for 30 minutes for easy cutting, then cube.
Put chicken and stock in large stockpot and cook on medium-high heat for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, mix oil and flour until well blended. Then slowly pour and stir into chicken broth mixture until slightly thickened.
Reduce heat to medium low or low for 15 minutes.
Add carrots, onions, celery, black pepper, Italian seasoning and bouillon. Cook for an additional 15 minutes.
Turn off heat, and then add peas and cream. Stir until mixed well.
Serve into mugs and top with equal amounts of cheese and piecrust as garnish.
Optional Alternative Crock-pot Preparation:
With crock-pot set on high for 4 hours, add oil and saute carrots, onions and celery for about 5 minutes, or until translucent.
Add flour and stir until paste begins to form, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes.
Add chicken, stock, black pepper, Italian seasoning and bouillon powder and stir until mixed well. Cover and let cook, stirring about once every hour.
About half an hour before finished cooking, add cream and peas and stir. Cover and stir periodically for the last 30 minutes of cooking.
Top with piecrust pieces and cheese to serve.
|Nutrition Per Serving|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|